Skip to content
Reach Out & Read Illinois’ Impact In 2018
- 115 Illinois clinic program sites.
- 61 Chicago clinic program sites.
- More than 138,000 Illinois children and parents received coaching and guidance.
- More than 133,000 books were distributed.
- 1 in 3 low-income families were reached.
Why the Impact Matters
- More than one-third of American children entering kindergarten today lack the basic language skills they will need to learn to read.
- Children who live in print-rich environments and who are read to during the first years of life are more likely to develop stronger reading abilities and enter school prepared to succeed.
- Fewer than half of parents (48%) in the United States read to their young children daily.
- Parents of children living in poverty may lack the money to buy books, may not have easy access to good children’s books, and may not themselves have been read to as children.