Dedicate your birthday, wedding or another celebration to Reach Out & Read Illinois. Ask your friends and family to make a donation in your honor or host a book drive in lieu of gifts.
Literacy-Rich Waiting Room
Help create a literacy-rich waiting room by donating:
- Gently-used books
- Story time rugs
- New bookcases
- Child-sized furniture (benches, chairs, or tables)
Find out which Reach Out & Read program site is in need of your donations by connecting with our Program Coordinator.
Host A Book Drive
High-quality children’s books are expensive. That’s why community book drives are an important source of support for Reach Out & Read programs in Illinois.
Note: Reach Out & Read only distributes new children’s books in the exam room during regular pediatric checkups, but used books are often used in the waiting room, given away to children who come for a sick visit, or given to siblings who don’t have an appointment that day, but would like a book to take home as well.
If you’re interested in organizing a book drive for a Reach Out & Read program in your community, here are some guidelines to help in your planning.
- Reach Out & Read’s focus is on children between the ages of 6 months through 5 years.
- Used books must be “gently-used” (covers and pages intact, clean, and readable).
- All books should be developmentally-appropriate and culturally-appropriate. Books about sensitive issues like divorce, abuse, or death cannot be accepted, nor can books which include any reference to religious worship, instruction, or proselytization.
- For a list of suggested children’s books, please refer to the Annotated Book List for Children.
New or gently-used books to donate to clinic(s) with a Reach Out & Read program. Please fill out the form below.Donate Books Form
Interested hosting a book drive or fundraiser? Want to become a volunteer reader? Let us know how you want to get involved by filling out the form below.Volunteer Form